Monday, June 15, 2009

Rolling on the River

I finally made the upgrade to Windows 7 last week. Feeling lazy, I didn't do a fresh install, opting instead to simply upgrade Vista. Installing my new OS was painless - I've installed games which gave me more grief. Now that I've had a chance to tool around and plumb it's depths, I really like what 7 has to offer. The Windows bar at the bottom now automatically groups all windows from the same program into one button. Don't have something highlighted? It doesn't show on your screen, the OS now conveniently hides it. Icons in the system tray now are accessed by one measly arrow button that displays them all. The desktop now looks much more streamlined and cleaner, free of the clutter present in previous iterations.


It looks pretty, but how does it perform? Glad you asked. Bye bye Mr. Bluescreen Crash everytime I reboot. Adios to Left 4 Dead freezing my entire system, forcing a hard reboot, once a week. So long to programs refusing to close even when using Task Manager. Every problem I had with Vista has ceased to be a problem. A shame this couldn't have been all part of a service pack for Vista. At the very least, it's nice to be able to use it for free until this time next year.

I know, I should probably be mad...this after all is what Vista should have been all along. I should be mad since I've basically been a paying participant in a Microsoft beta test. Oddly, I'm fine with that. Call me a sucker if you like, but I understood a long time ago this hobby would have it's share of headaches. It's not like I have another option anyway. What am I gonna do? Get a Mac?!

Hit me again Ike.

V out

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel exactly the same about Windows 7. I've only had one freeze when exiting TF2, but it only required a Task Manager End Task. Not a reboot. Everything runs smooth as silk. I think the real question is, how long will it take for Microsoft to break it, lol. A bit pessimistic, am I? Naven.

David Yoder said...

I have a great windows you can use. Windows XP. it is out of it's Beta stage and surprisingly stable!