Friday, July 24, 2009

Episode 2.5

Matt Bortolino has made me realize just how much I really am pining for Half-Life 2: Episode 3. Research and Development is a new mod for HL:E2 that prompts the player to remember just how damned cool the physics can be in the Source Engine. Those of us wondering wtf is taking Valve so long to get Episode 3 out the door would do well to give this free mod a look.

R and D treats you to many different play styles all while never having the character pick up a gun. You might think it no fun to play through a HL2 mod without a gun, but you might be wrong. Each level and each puzzle is clever and thought provoking without being too hard (well, most of them aren't). Enemies still abound, and you have to dispose of them in order to progress, but the design of the game is such that you shall never miss the gun that you don't have.

The enviroments are well crafted and very nice to look at. Everything about the production of this free mod is so well done you will swear it of Valvian origins. It all culminates in a boss battle that makes me grin to think about even now, and not in a funny way either. More like a Holy-Crap-I-Can't-Believe-This-Is-So-Much-Fun grin. I won't spoil it for you, just play it and you'll understand why this will soon be the best single player HL2 mod you've ever played.

Still having a blast playing Lord of the Rings Online. Unable to choose between the Hunter or Minstrel class for main character, so I'll just play them both for now thank you.

Van out

*Edit* Holy crap!


5 comments:

David Yoder said...

They are too busy ripping us off in Left 4 Dead 2. That is what's taking so long.

On a more serious note. The half life games are the equivalent of watching 'Dirty jobs'; it is entertaining enough to watch if nothing else is on. It is my go to game when I don't feel like playing anything else. Hence why my progress is so slow.

Now only if we can get rusty to play more Lotro. It is much better than watching TV.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Rusty needs to step it up. I need more Rustor in my LotRO.

David Yoder said...

My word Verification is waestor. *laugh*

"Um, honey. Could you take this bowl of cereal back. It needs more rustor. Thanks."

rustymoore said...

I like how it was funny that I am Rustor of Gondor but Brandon is Vandinwyn of Brandywine...really?

Unknown said...

Hell yeah. I'm throwing up Brandywine. What?

I'm also a little jealous of the best character name in any MMORPG: Rustor.