Sunday, October 26, 2008

And now for something completely different


I made the decision to change the focus of my blog. I had intended for this to be a place for me to blog about my forays into game design. I have been rather uninspired to do much level design or construction lately. Like most other hobbies throughout my life, I tend to be cyclical with what I am doing at any given time. I have no doubt that game design will swing back into my current interests, I just have no intention to force the issue right now.

As you can see by looking to your right, I am currently enamored with playing games instead of making them. Call of Duty 4 is taking up most of my PC gaming time. It has the distinction of being the only game to ever bring me to a point where I actually 'teared up' (read: almost cried). I won't spoil the plot, just suffice that COD4 is the bar by which I will judge future FPS experiences.

I'm enjoying Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga for my handheld kicks. AW has been a long time coming to completion, I played through a large portion of the game earlier in the year and am just now coming back to it. I've been a fan of turn based strategy starting with Final Fantasy Tactics on the Playstation. AW goes a long way towards scratching that itch. The game is obviously written with the younger crowd in mind, but the gameplay is solid. I just started SS last night before bed, so I don't have much of an opinion at this point. It plays very similar to Mario RPG on the SNES. That's a good thing.

I spent a good portion of this evening jumping into the Resident Evil remake on Gamecube. The RE series is one which I have struggled to like for a long time. The archaic save system, the limited inventory, all adds up to a lot of frustration for this gamer. Last year I made it a significant distance into the original Playstation RE only to reach a point where I didn't have enough first aid/ammo to make it any further. The GC remakes are much easier on the eyes and have a few changes in place that make it an easier affair to navigate. If only I didn't have to navigate like a tank. So far so good though. If this attempt ends up going bad though, this will be my last effort to play through the series. I'll just jump straight to the better control scheme of RE4 and wash my hands of RE1-3.

Ok, I have a little boy in need of a bath.

V out.

1 comment:

Jynx the Mapper said...

i hear ya on this! last week's update was the last i have done anything - i got a little TF2 playtime in, but that was it. it's simply too hard to fit in mapping with caring for three kids (one of them 2 months), working on the house addition, and the inevitable deluge of work (especially when headcount is reduced and work isn't, again).

psychonauts is one of my top five favorite games. while i typically don't like the collect-everything-platformer, this one was carried by a semblance of a plot, beautiful design, and a sense of humor seldom found outside of an insane asylum.