Friday, January 30, 2009

Curb Stomp!


My free time in the last week has been consumed by Dead Space. I began following the development of this title after it was first announced. I assumed incorrectly that it was a FPS title and was intrigued by the notion of a new IP from EA, who is not known for their creativity. I eventually discovered it was not, in fact, 1st person...but the dreaded 3rd person perspective. I'm generally not a fan of 3rd person, but the story was pretty awesome up to that point and I kept my eye on the game. I finished it up on Sunday and I'll post a review of it sometime soon, for now I will simply state that DS takes everything that has ever frustrated me about Resident Evil and Silent Hill and makes it work. (No, I haven't played RE4 yet, backlog remember?)

Of course time was still made for Left 4 Dead. There is a zero chance of anything pulling me away from the game at this point. Nightly versus matches have become a habit for me. Like a teeth brushing habit. The game is that good. I liked the Smoker infected class early on, but the update has doubled my enjoyment. Pulling a hapless survivor from a just-boomed group, allowing infected to curb stomp like it's 1999...never gets old.

Like a flaming hunter to a limping survivor's life total, my play time in Middle Earth has diminished significantly and quickly. It's not that I dislike LotRO either. I think it's time to break out of our Noobvillage and advance the story before my interest is completely incapped.

My resolution holds firm in the face of a true challenge: Steam had Dawn of War Soulstorm for $8 last week AND it included a beta key. The regular weekend deal had Mount & Blade at about the same price. Having resisted the siren's call and eliminating a game from the backlog at the same time, I'm feeling secure in my decision to hold off on new purchases. I can't imagine another deal being able to alter the course I have set in for myself. With the completion of DS where do I go next? Age of Empires 3 was interrupted and I'll likely continue my campaign there. Now that EA has opened my eyes to 3rd person possibilities though, this copy of Assassin's Creed on my desk is looking interesting. Hmmm.....

Vander out

1 comment:

AmishAmbush said...

Don't i get an add on the blog roll? I am glad to hear you finished dead space. I might have to try it on your recommendation. What do you think of AOE3 So far? We should get an update on that as well. I have tried various RTS's (Cossacks being the one I have played at any length) but just cannot get into them. You should do a post on your top 5 favorites and why.