Sunday, January 4, 2009

Making the selfish choice

I could tell you I resolved this new year to begin losing weight, spend more time with my family, or get my life organized. I could decide to say I will do all sorts of noble things to better my family and self.

But I won't.

I know these sorts of ill-advised declarations are destined to fail. Major lifestyle changes akin to the aforementioned are not brought about by waiting til the 1st of a new year to proclaim one's willingness to change. I equate new years resolutions with Halloween costumes: You pick something ridiculous out because it looks cool, dress up for a day, and then you're done with it until called upon to do the same again in 12 months. For the vast majority of us, this is more true than you may care to admit.

My resolution is far from earth shattering, and not nearly life changing. I just want to get through my backlog of games before buying anything else. That's it. I have a friend who get's me a game every year for Christmas and for my birthday. The last 4 games he gifted me are still in plastic wrap...and not from lack of interest in playing on my part.

From my desk I can see:

Crysis and the Warhead standalone expansion
Bioshock
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Age of Empires 3 the Asian Dynasties
Supreme Commander
Warcraft 3
Dead Space

and the list goes on. I have no business buying or downloading any new titles until I have had time to make a significant dent in my unplayed pile. Well, I am first in line for Red Alert 3 on Goozex, after that I'm done. So, here it is:

I resolve to not purchase any video game title until the release of Diablo 3 or until I have completed 75% of my backlog.

No comments: