Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Resolutions, Layouts, and Undead

So far so good on my resolution. I have not spent money on any new games to add to my collection. Unfortunately, I've also got a long way to go in diminishing my backlog. Two missions into my Age of Empires 3 campaign (well, 1.5 really) does not a lot of progress make. I also wonder what will happen once Steam or GoGamer has a good deal on a decent game, for that will be the real test of my resolve. So far, nothing worth mentioning has gone on sale, making my promise a little easier to keep for the moment. I suppose I should take victories where I find them.

My lack of single player gaming has brought on some interesting side-effects. Specifically, I am now mapping again. Not just casual set pieces either, I'm constructing a full-blown (pun intended) bomb defusal map for CSS. I took my previous efforts and reworked the layout a bit. As such, layout testing dominates my mapping time now. Trying to get distances and setup times perfected before adding too much detail is my main objective. My clan mates have been great for small, focused playtests and have contributed much to my list of fixes that need to be implemented. I'm calling it de_oasis at the present and just setup a work in progress thread on my clan's website, pictures included.

Left 4 Dead is still taking up a considerable amount of my gaming time. It doesn't matter what game starts my nightime play sessions, it always ends with L4D. A quick glance at Xfire shows I've dropped just under 100 hours of playtime into this game. I see no signs of slowing down either. I'm content in my zombie slaying, bring on the apocalypse I say!

No comments: