Wednesday, March 25, 2009

With only my wits

I got pissed off at Bioshock last week and haven't touched it since. I hit a point in the game where a crazy old coot wouldn't admit me into the next section until after performing his dirty work, and then only after handing over all of my weapons too. Left with just my wits and four plasmid abilities, two of which were suitable for combat, I waltzed right into his trap. And promptly died.

I must have Area 51 thoughtless game design still on my brain. I need to occasionally think if I'm going to make it through Bioshock. Handing over all of my weapons and NOT taking in my best combat plasmids? Not my most shining moment.

My brother gave me Dawn of War II for my birthday earlier this month. I installed it and took it on a test drive recently. The gameplay is extremely tactical, making use of terrain to take cover and enabling you to exploit each unit type's strenghts or weaknesses. It really makes you think about troop positioning, protecting your flanks, etc... The unit count is low, but that just makes it easier to keep track of everyone. This will be the next RTS campaign I dive into after finishing Age of Empires 3.

A new contest has popped up over at TF2Maps.net: detailing the middle capture point for a 5 cp map. I have a little under a month to get it together. Hopefully there will be time to do it on the side while I get cracking on ctf_egypt's level construction.

That can wait. I have a score to settle with a crazy old man...

V out

4 comments:

AmishAmbush said...

I am going to have to fall into the camp that states that "Penny Arcade" is not funny. It is Garfield indeed. Also, I am going to need a clarification on what is going on in Bioshock. You gave up all your weapons and are unable to go to an earlier save point? You have to deal with things as is? Why are you spoiling this game for me?

Unknown said...

I admit to not being pleased with this blog post.

Allow me to clarify: I thought the game was being unfair to me and punishing me. As it turns out, it was my own dull-wittedness that punished myself. If I had thought about it, instead of pushing forward, I would have equipped myself differently and been spared a painful death.

As for spoiling the game for you...whens the last time you ever played a single player FPS? The original Half-Life? *laugh*

btw, I know Garfield. I have met him, and even had dinner. Penny Arcade is no Garfield sir.

Unknown said...

I removed the comic. It was too overbearing. Sure, it referenced to Bioshock, but I don't feel like it really fit what I was talking about.

AmishAmbush said...

I am playing half life two as we speak. Scoff at my game playing experience.