Monday, March 2, 2009

A Broadway Production


I mentioned in Friday's blog that I had a TF2 mapping project in the works with a friend of mine. Fortunately, this has turned out to be anything but bluster so far! We worked this weekend on our goals and release schedule. The design process is now going forward full steam ahead. It has been an eye-opening experience for me so far: I had not mentioned it before, but my associate has actual development experience working on retail games. Being able to approach the project in a professional manner has been like a dream come true for my meager store of design knowledge. I feel like an overstuffed balloon that refuses to burst. There is so much more to be gained by actual doing, this is exactly what I needed. I can't wait to share with you the things we will create in future installments of this very blog. The very thought of sinking my teeth into creating a Left 4 Dead campaign has me salivating with design suspense. Think of this TF2 map as a high school play compared to the L4D campaign's Broadway production: so much more work, but infinitely more rewarding and enjoyable.

Speaking of L4D, I have finally gotten around to selecting the starting 4 players for our TWL ladder team: Myself, Amish Ambush, Ridetsu, and Awol Zealot. What's really cool about this is the level of interest in the game is such that we can sustain a second team: Doober, Naven, Afghan, and Mechpilot_Z. To review: OZ has 2 competitive L4D teams as well as a team in Counter-Strike Source. It's really a great time to be a member of our gaming clan. The best thing a multiplayer gamer can ask for is to have an active group of cool people to game with. The glory days are NOW in the OZ Clan...and I'm loving it.

The glory days are also very much alive in Middle Earth. LotRO pulls me in a little further everytime I play. The fed-ex and collection quests which comprise my main complaint when it comes to any MMORPG are ever-present, but fade quickly into the background of my mind as the game weaves my storyline into Tolkien's. The game accomplishes this through the main questline and with brief cutscenes. Everyone of these efforts to enmesh my character into the Middle Earth story pushes me further towards renewing my subscription and very likely becoming a lifetime member the next time they have a discount on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vander, this is Naven. I just read your blog for the first time. Great job. I can't wait to play the TF2 map, and give advice and help make it awesome. I'm pumped about being in the clan; Doober and I have been playing multiplayer games together for a while, but the novelty of our fun was beginning to wear off. Joining the clan has been a blast for both of us, as we talk about it all the time. When I know I've got a night of L4D ahead with the group, my employees probably wonder why I'm in a better mood that day. Anywho, I'll be checking out your blog regularly now. Peace out. Btw, my wife does a blog for our family at http://therichsimpsonfamily.blogspot.com