Friday, October 23, 2009

Making the transition

My apologies for not getting a blog entry up Wednesday. Truth be told, there wasn't much to report on the progress of my level. I spent far more of my free time checking out custom maps to see what other authors have done as opposed to building my own. Gotta scout the competition every now and again, right?

Got back on track Thursday. The decision I mentioned Monday to decrease the campaign into 2 maps necessitated the need for some changes to the level design. First, I needed to make the map a bit lengthier. Second, I didn't want to use the design from our 5 level campaign. I had been using it this entire time, but - truth be told - I had deviated enough from the orginal layout so that this is not as big a deal as it could have been (would not have cared much for rebuilding what I had already done).

Here are a few updated images of my progress:

1.) Updated image of the view from spawn area. Notice the small bus yard building is now visible from here as opposed to the open area previously occupied by a house.


2.) Added a light by the service entrance and changed the door model up. Keep needing to remind myself most areas would have boarded up their homes, businesses, etc...


3.) Closer view of the bus yard (rear-view). Changed the fence texture to chain-link. New route goes over the dumpster instead of through the fence as before. This area may be too open. Need to make sure infected players have decent attack areas. Trying to keep this in mind as I build. Balancing the infected's needs with the survivor's is key to making this level fun.


4.) This is just over the dumpster, still behind the bus yard. This route leads to a backyard and transitions to a residential area.


5.) We transition back to a commerical area here. Look at the fence and you can see this area goes uphill. Ignore the humvees tire clipping the sidewalk. Path leads through covered alleyway. Probably need another light or two in this area.


6.) Wanted to get a good screen of the area behind the spawn. I want to link this map with the end of Crash Course and the start of Death Toll. I have some cool ideas on how to link the finale to Death Toll. Can't wait to share them with you in a future update.


7.) This is as far as I've gotten. The area on the other side of the fence is where the covered alley from pic 5 leads to. Yes, you will be climbing that fire escape. :)

Hope this update was worth the wait. Keep in mind: Borderlands AND the Left 4 Dead 2 demo hits next week. Can't promise I'll have anything to report. :3

No comments: