Friday, October 30, 2009

My playlist

I gave myself this week off from mapping and blogging. Between new game releases, pumpkin carving, and my 5th wedding anniversary creative endeavors weren't something I wanted to make time for. Since I don't have anything to update on the campaign, I'll give you some details on the games I'm playing instead.

Left 4 Dead


As anyone who reads this blog knows I'm a huge fan of anything Valve does. Nearly a year after it's release and I still can't get enough L4D. With a good group of team players, even losing becomes fun. The game still has it's share of griefers, but if you haven't made some decent friends while playing this game you're doing it wrong.

The new Crash Course campaign hit very recently and I'm really digging it. Releasing it with only 2 levels vs. the customary 5 will lead the haters to believe it's something quickly slapped together. No doubt they'll sermonize it's to keep us from crying wolf regarding L4D's supposed lack of support in the face of L4D2's imminent emergence. While playable in co-op, the strength of Crash Course rests in versus mode. One of the biggest gripes about versus previously was the length of time it takes to complete: no less than 2 hours in most cases. CC solves that issue making the game more accessible for folks without enough free time.

I'm 25 hours away from hitting 500 hours of total play time in L4D. Over a year, that averages out to around 45 min/per day spent killing infected. I've spent a little over a dime a day for this particular piece of entertainment. Money well spent.

Borderlands

I pre-ordered this a while back completely on a whim. Already being a fan of Fallout, Diablo 2, and FPS games in general made it easy to say 'yes' to Borderlands. I can honestly say I wouldn't have pre-ordered were it not for Steam. Making impulse buying decisions from my office chair is something I'm going to have to resist in the future, but I'm very pleased with this one. After all, $33.75 (bought in a 4-pack with some clan mates) is a great price for a brand-new release.

I won't talk up this game quite as much as L4D or L4D2. There are some glaring problems the developer should address immediately. Allow me to just hit the highlights:
  • In co-op, voice chat is always on. No option to toggle off. Playing with heavy breathers is not recommended.
  • The menus are extremely clunky and unintuitive. PageUp and PageDown?!? Are you serious? Good luck equipping the weapon you want on the first try.
  • Loot drops are free-for-all. Better play this with friends.
  • Steam is not integrated. You don't use your friend list, no invites, no 'join game' options. In it's place? Gamespy.
  • No trade system in place. You have to just drop your shit on the ground. Again, play this with friends.
  • Items you can't pick up (ammo/health when you are already at max) still glow like you could.

Despite these annoyances, the game is fantastic. If you like any combination of the games I mentioned 2 paragraphs above, you owe it to yourself to give this game a look. It's hard to put a point on any one thing that makes the game so good. The loot-hunting addiction I had with Diablo 2 is here in full force: weapons, grenades, shields can come with unique traits and stats. Finding a new unique item is always a thrill. The environments are great to look at, the art design is executed well. The core FPS gameplay is solid too. I guess if I had to point at one thing, it would be the co-op. Single player is good, but playing with friends is great. On par with L4D's co-op campaign experience which is high praise coming from a Valve boy like myself.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

This is an older game I finally got time to try. I keep putting it down out of frustrations brought on by some very poor design choices: cut-scenes are not skippable, no save anywhere function, vague puzzles. I keep coming back to it because of one superior design choice: incredible atmosphere. The game is very scary and that's enough to make me muddle through. I shouldn't have to download a developer's save file to get past a game-breaking bug. I shouldn't...but I did anyway. Too bad this game didn't have more time spent on it in development. I can't recommend it for everyone.

Left 4 Dead 2 demo

Take everything I love about Left 4 Dead and double it. It doesn't do much to change the tried and true formula: kill zombies on your way to the next safe-room (versus mode is not available in the demo). What it does change is how the game is played. Even on normal it doesn't allow survivors to hole up in a corner and take on the hordes. With the new special infected and new panic events, the game forces you out in the open and makes teamwork even more crucial than before.

I won't say much more about it - the demo is very short - but L4D2 is something you have to experience in order to fully appreciate what Valve has done to build on L4D.

Torchlight demo

Take everything you liked about Diablo 2. Mix in beautiful graphics that can be viewed at a reasonable resoltion. Finally, add a dog companion who can take your extra loot back to town and sell it for you. Instant awesome.

I should mention my wife got me Dragon Age: Origins for an anniversary gift. It releases next week. God willing, I'll be able to put it down long enough to get some level design work accomplished and update this blog.

No comments: